Old, low yielding bush vines thriving in a dry landscape cooled by Atlantic sea breezes are the key of Swartland’s successes. Always at the forefront of innovative, quality wine production in the Cape, Swartland wines offer exceptional value for money.
You will learn about terroir and its influence on the grapes, as well as our Culture, History, and Cuisine in as much or little detail as you like.
Swartland (Old Dutch for 'black land' due to the dark colour of the indigenous vegetation when wet,) is a vast wine district consisting of rolling hills and high mountains. It was known mainly for its "dryland" Chenin and Syrah wines and its assortment of often eccentric, innovative “Maverick” wine makers. Today some of the best wines in the country are produced here from a myriad of grapes and new blending styles.
The enormous fields are khaki in summer and mint-green wheat and bright-yellow canola fields in winter. Our warm, almost too dry, breezy Mediterranean climate, suites a large variety of grape varietals The winemaking focus is mainly finding the best methods to take advantage of our diverse terroir in conjunction with the harsh climate and to produce minimal intervention wines that speak of the Swartland.
The Swartland Cellars motto of “small berries, big taste” couldn’t be truer for the region.
Theme: History, culture, nature and dryland winetasting and production.
We will visit wineries and olive producers in Riebeek-Kasteel, Paardeberg, Malmesbury and other places in the Swartland.
Good to know
- Minimum of 2 guests for tour to run
- We will collect and drop off within 40km from Central Stellenbosch, for collections further away a small extra tariff will be charged
- Guiding by private certified tour guide.
- Includes collection and drop off within 40km from Central Stellenbosch.
- Our tours are done in our modern VW which can carry up to 7 passengers comfortably. It is equipped with a public-address system, reference books, ice box, bottled water and first aid kit.
- All insurances are the guests own responsibility
- Excludes tasting fees, meals, wine and other possible drinks, snacks, curios purchases
- Lunch is estimated at approx. R 110-280 pp excluding drinks
- Tasting fees approx. R 200 pp for the day
- For collections further than 40km from Central Stellenbosch, a small extra tariff is charged
- An inquisitive mind
- Eager taste buds.
- Wine tasting is a casual affair. Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. In summer, dress to keep cool and in winter a sweater is recommended.
Looking for more of the best tours, activities and experiences?
No reviews yet
Strict Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 7 days before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 7 days before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.